Sunday 18 August 2013

Day 20: Recent Acquisitions

A few things that I picked up in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia recently.

I found this basinette in a local thrift store.

Baby basinette with fold-out wooden stands.

The hood part hinges back and forth.


Label inside.

The Barden and Robeson Corp. The Mark of QUALITY Penn, Yan NEW YORK

I was in St. John's driving in the country and a man in his forties was clearing out the family home.
He was putting stuff out to give away.

I took four chairs (their family dining room set) and these three, ornate, old wooden, silver frames.
The decorative part is moulded plaster.


He was grateful that I took the things and said, "Thank god for the ends of driveways!"

Below is a small, green, wooden table with pull out leaves.
I bought it at a local used furniture store (some time ago).
Another chair from St. John's.



 I found this print in an old wood frame in a thrift store in Nova Scotia this summer.
It was $5.



Detail of print.

I found this box at the local Salvation Army thrift store last weekend.
I paid $2.
It's handmade, wood, quite lovely. 



It is very solid. Very sturdy. Like a plinth.

I have no idea what it would have been used for.
It is 11.75"h x 12.75"w x 19.75"l

On the ends, there are handles, of a sort, that look like they have a hole for metal rings.


The interior had been papered a few times.


Woodgrain paper and decorative pink flower pattern paper.

 

If you have any ideas as to what it might have been used for, let me know.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing this. I would love to do home restoration in Chicago, IL if I ever get time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might had been used as storage chest for clothing, important documents, books and toys. With painting and glazing it will look new again.

    ReplyDelete